His Mother's Son

Author: Raindrops on Roses

Rating: G
Category: Vignette, Remus' POV

Disclaimer: I own none of these characters. They all belong to J.K. Rowling. Lucky woman.

Spoilers: through Order of the Phoenix




He's just like his father--we've all said it for years.

But... is he, really? Yes, he looks just like James. Sometimes, when I glance at him, I'm transported back in time, back to a planning session with the two biggest troublemakers at Hogwarts until the Weasley twins.

And then, he turns to me, and I catch his eyes. And I realize, no, this isn't my best friend James--it is Harry.

And Harry isn't just like his father. When I taught him in his third year, I knew that this boy isn't a copy of his father--he is his own person.

However, I fully realized the difference between James and Harry when he unexpectedly Flooed Sirius. The degree to which he was upset...

I was amazed that he would be so angry. After all, Severus Snape has verbally abused him for years. They've hated each other ever since Harry first set foot in Hogwarts School.

Of course he was upset, though. He had--we all had--practically canonized his father. And Harry had found out some things--bad things--about his "perfect" father.

No, James wasn't perfect. He was arrogant, narcissistic, and even cruel at times. He and Sirius made Snape's life hell for seven years.

But I'm not perfect, either. I sat by and watched, saying nothing, doing nothing to stop their "fun".

They say the eyes are the windows to the soul. Harry... he has Lily's eyes. He may look like his father, but he acts like his mother. He, like Lily, refuses to allow anyone to suffer injustice or indignity. He will stand for what is good, what is right, what is just. I know, because that was Lily.

No, Harry isn't the spitting image of his father... he is also his mother's son.

And as much as I loved James... I am all the more relieved for it.


Back to Harry Potter index
Home

Fics

+ JAG
+ NCIS
+ Harry Potter
+ Law & Order
+ Law & Order: SVU
+ Law & Order: Criminal Intent
+ Stargate SG1
+ House
+ Miscellaneous Fandoms
+ Crossovers

+ ajmacfic Yahoo!group fic list

Others
+ Fanmixes
+ Fanvids
+ Essays

Site by Shannon. Layout made by Cala.